When I think back over what I read this year, these are the stories and collections that most come to mind. They’re by no means all of the best, but they’re a good cross-section.
- Seraphina – Rachel Hartman (YA, Fantasy)
- Bigger than a Breadbox – Laurel Snyder (MG)
- Splendors and Glooms – Laura Amy Schlitz (MG)
- Code Name Verity – Elizabeth Wein (Nominally YA)
- The Pottawomie Giant and Other Stories – Andy Duncan
- The Night Circus – Erin Mortgenstern
- The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There – Catherynne M. Valente
- Throne of the Crescent Moon – Saladin Ahmed
- Range of Ghosts – Elizabeth Bear
- Shiver – Maggie Stiefaver
- Seeker – Jack McDevit
- Immersion & Scattered Along the River of Heaven – Aliette de Bodard (Clarkesworld)
- Boojum – Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette (Lightspeed) [Reprint]
- Love Might Be Too Strong a Word – Charlie Jane Anders (Lightspeed)
- Give Her Honey When You Hear Her Scream - Maria Dahvana Headley (Lightspeed)
- New World Blues – L.E. Modesitt Jr. (Tor)
- How to Make a Triffid – Kelly Lagor (Tor)
- Katabasis – Robert Reed (F&SF)
- Scrap Dragon – Naomi Kritzer (F&SF)
- Close Encounters – Andy Duncan (F&SF)
- Nahiku West – Linda Nagata (Analog)
- The Mongolian Book of the Dead – Alan Smale (Asimov’s)
- A Marble for the Drowning River – Ann Chatham (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)
- Sinking Among Lillies – Corry Skerry (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)
- After Compline, Silence Falls – M. Bennardo (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)
- The Grinnell Method – Molly Gloss (Strange Horizons)
- UPDATE – an egregious omission, because I missed the October issue – A Bead of Jasper, Four Small Stones – Genevieve Valentine (Clarkesworld)
- Digital Rapture – James Patrick Kelley and John Kessel, eds.
- Edge of Infinity – Jonathan Strahan, ed.
- Bewere the Night – Ekaterina Sedia, ed.
There are a lot more, of course. I’m sure I’ll be smacking my head and wanting to add several in about five minutes.
What were your favorite reads this year?