Yes, I’ve been scarce in these parts. Yes I have a good reason. Patience, rabbit. All will be revealed.
In time-honored tradition, I will now distract you with a list of other people’s books. Specifically those I read (or read again) this year and that come to mind as I type this right now. I read a lot. The list is long. I have left things off that I meant to put on there. There are a number of short stories at the top, many with links, because short stories rock, and you should read some.
There is no order to this. Reason, yes. Rhyme, maybe.
- “The Man Who Bridged The Mists,” Kij Johnston, Asimov’s
- “The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees,” E. Lily Yiu, Clarkesworld
- “Our Drunken Tjeng,” Nicky Drayden, Daily Science Fiction
- “The Dala Horse,” Michael Swanwick, Tor
- “A Vector Alphabet of Innerstellar Travel,” Yoon Ha Lee, Tor
- “Six Months, Three Days,” Charlie Jane Anders, Tor
- “Face Value,” Karen Joy Fowler, Lightspeed
- “Maneki Neko,” Bruce Sterling, Lightspeed
- “The Leavings of the Wolf,” Elizabeth Bear, Apex
- Embassytown – China Mieville
- Among Others – Jo Walton
- Rainbow’s End – Vernor Vinge
- Wee Free Men & Hat Full of Sky – Terry Pratchett
- Farewell Horizontal – K.W. Jeter
- The Inheritance Trilogy – N.K. Jemisin
- River of Gods – Ian McDonald
- The Dervish House – Ian McDonald
- Ready Player One – Ernest Cline
- 7th Sigma – Steven Gould
- Rule 34 – Charles Stross
- Feed – Mira Grant
- Zoo City – Lauren Beukes
- Mechanique – Genevive Valentine
- REAMDE – Neal Stephenson
- The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities – Ann and Jeff Van Der Meer, eds.
- Deathless – Catherynne M. Valente
This isn’t a complete list, and it’s not very helpful, but it’s a place to start. There are more books over thisaway, via goodreads.