September 1 still feels far away — five weeks is foreverrrrr. But next Monday isn’t that distant and that’s only four weeks. And smack in the midst of three weeks and two weeks, Worldcon happens in Spokane (more on that in a little while) and somewhere between landing back in Philadelphia and writing a whole bunch of blog posts and the usual Cooking the Books nuttiness, it will be September, finally and…
that isn’t so far away at all.
Last week, to drive home the point that Updraft is gaining on us, my neighbor Melissa invited some friends of hers over and asked me to talk to them about writing and to read from Updraft. Several wonderful folks had pre–ordered, and I got to sign a few of the new bookplates. The garden event looked like this:
And it felt like this:
And it was great. Strangers are friends now. Our conversations ranged from comics to publishing, to characters, science, and games. So much gratitude to my wonderful friend and her amazing family for hosting.
Melissa is a fellow maker of things (many glorious things) who lets me play in her studio sometimes. A few weeks ago, she invited the Chemist and me over to make bone-chip necklaces and Lawsmarkers out of clay…. and they turned out gorgeous. I’ll have a few at the launch party and at other readings and events. (Side note, another creative friend, Blake Conroy, sent me some amazing cut paper tentacle art that will also be coming out to play soon.)
Melissa also made a letterpress assembly with my new favorite word.
So, here’s what you need to know.
The month of September [Uptember] is going to be amazing – with Updraft events all over.
Click on a link to RSVP via facebook or to learn more. Can’t wait to see you!
- Sept 1: LAUNCH! Barnes & Noble Rittenhouse Square 7pm, Philadelphia PA (RSVP! | If you pre-order I’ll bring you a bookplate!)
- Sept 2: Doylestown Bookstore with Chuck Wendig 6pm, Doylestown PA (RSVP! | Pre-order from Doylestown Books)
- Sept 3: Reddit/Fantasy AMA, online (Ask me anything! Everyone except Bill. He knows why.)
- Sept 4-7: Dragoncon, Atlanta GA (Schedule TBA)
- Sept 6: Dekatur Book Festival, 3:45pm Mariott Auditorium, Dekatur GA (Signing books afterwards!)
- Sept 9: Geekadelphia and the Philadelphia Free Library Present The Future of Science Fiction with Gregory Frost, Stephanie Feldman, Michael Swanwick, Siobhan Caroll, Fran Wilde, and Jon McGoran, Philadelphia PA
- Sept 12: Writers with Drinks, San Francisco CA
- Sept 15: Borderlands to celebrate Greg Van Eekhout’s book launch for DRAGON COAST with Seanan McGuire and Fran Wilde, 7pm, San Francisco, CA
- Sept 19: Mysterious Galaxy with Greg Van Eekhout and Adam Rakunas, 2pm, San Diego CA
- Sept 21: University Bookstore, Seattle WA
- Sept 23: Main Point Books with Gregory Frost, Bryn Mawr PA
- Sept 24: Library of Congress, 12pm Washington DC
- Sept 26-27: Baltimore Book Festival, Baltimore MD
(A running, regularly updated events calendar is here. Plus, .. after Uptember comes Tortober — stay tuned!)
Lastly, here’s some exciting news from tor.com about a Jeweled Valley novella for next spring.