Welcome to a world of wind and bone, songs and silence, betrayal and courage. A city of living bone rises high above the clouds, its past lost to legend. Danger hides in the wind. Laws have been broken. A great secret must be exposed. Coming September 1, 2015. Check out Updraft on Goodreads (Yes! you can preorder! Barnes & Noble | Amazon!)
- A Publishers’ Weekly Fall 2015 Top 10 SF, Fantasy & Horror book!
- Library Journal Debut of the Month
“… The world itself is as much a character as any of the individuals within its pages, and in the grand tradition of science fiction and fantasy, the main character’s growth and struggles are bound up with learning more about the world. … I galloped through it to find out what came next…. With Updraft, Fran Wilde has written a compelling debut, and I for one look forward to seeing what she does next.” ~ Locus, May 2015
“Extraordinary worldbuilding and cascading levels of intrigue make Wilde’s debut fantasy novel soar… This well-written and fascinating exploration of a strange land is an extremely promising start for an exciting new writer.” Starred Review, Publisher’s Weekly, June 2015
“The world of the towers grown from bone, where residents strap on wings and soar the air currents, is captivating. As a coming-of-age story, Kirit’s journey to find her place is satisfying, but the real draw is a world that readers will be anxious to revisit in future volumes of this exciting new series” Starred Review, Library Journal, July 2015
Visit back here for news and behind-the-scenes introductions to the world of Updraft as launch approaches.
Sneak Peek 1: Read the first chapter of UPDRAFT at Tor.com now!
Sneak Peek 2: Check out UPDRAFT’s think-board on Pinterest.
People are talking about Updraft:
- Library Journal: A Genre Takes Flight “In Updraft (Tor, Sept.), debut author Fran Wilde creates a fascinating world of floating cities made of living bone where the residents strap on wings and soar on the air currents.” (August 6, 2015)
- A Dribble of Ink: Updraft Soars on Wings of Silk & Bone (spoilers / amazing work by Aidan) “Excelling on its complex characters, a richly imagined fantasy world, and a penchant for subverting tropes,Updraft is a strong debut from an author with a lot of wind under her wings. Like her protagonist, Wilde never lets off the gas, and, from the very first page to the last, Updraft remains an addictive, mile-a-minute adventure.”
- Huffington Post: Debut Epic Fantasies to Look Out For in 2015! “Towers of bone, a draconian code of laws, sinister Singers, and mechanical wings are elements of a world that feels foreign and fascinating in Updraft…”
- Excitement for 2015 Fantasy Novels “Wings. A growing city of bone, with towers and spires. Sky monsters. Did I mention the wings? Fran has such an immersive world, and I absolutely loved the protagonist — resourceful, realistically mature, indomitable. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.”
- Kirkus: The Booksmugglers’ Most Coveted Speculative Fiction Titles at BEA: “A city of living bone. In the clouds. Where people use wings (mechanical?) to get around. A mystery. We love all of these things and cannot wait for Fran Wilde’s Tor debut novel.”
- A Dribble of Ink: Catching Fran Wilde on the Updraft “… my anticipation for the novel is higher than ever.”
- Skiffy & Fanty Most Anticipated Things for 2015 Updraft: short and longlisted by four of the Skiffy & Fanty Panelists. Supercool.
- SFSignal: The Cover Art For Fran Wilde’s Debut is Simply Awesome “I like how the cover evokes both the “city of living bone” and high-flying adventure at the same time it entices readers with imaginative world building. Bring it on!”
- iO9: Mind-Blowing Science Fiction and Fantasy to Watch Out For in 2015 Here are 60 essential science fiction and fantasy books coming out this year!
- Kirkus: 100 Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Books To Look Forward to in 2015 “Author Fran Wilde, who made a name for herself in short fiction, debuts her first novel, Updraft“…
- SFSignal: Books You Have to Read in 2015 and Why (at about the 54-minute mark, in between Daniel Abraham and Neil Gaiman) “New Weird meets epic fantasy meets class struggles in a city of living bone in the sky.” “That sounds awesome!”
- Women In SFF Month: “… there’s something here to appeal to everyone. The worldbuilding the author engages in here is incredible – detailed, rich, and deep. There’s intrigue and danger, and stakes high enough to shake the entire foundation of the world the characters are living in. Updraft is another highly-visual world, just begging to be made into a movie.”
- SFSignal: Everything You Wanted to Know About Book Publicity Publicists and Marketing pros from Apex, Orbit and Tor join Andrew Liptak to talk marketing and upcoming books.
- AC Wise: Coming Attractions “I can’t tell you how excited I am for this thing. A city of bone, a girl with wings, and monsters in the clouds. Having gotten a sneak preview, I can tell you this book is amazing, and I want everyone else to know how amazing it is so we can all squee about it together.”
- GeekMom: Upcoming Reading for 2015 “A high-flying fantasy tale of towers of living bone and dark secrets, loaded with engineering, mystery, and monsters. Science-backed fantasy, fast-paced adventure, a multi-generational cast, and a deeply layered world.”
[…] Wilde is an author and technology consultant. Her first novel, Updraft, is forthcoming from Tor/Macmillan in 2015. Her short stories have appeared or will shortly appear […]
[…] also did a podcast with the fabulous Fran Wilde (Updraft out super soon!) and Aliette de Bodard (House of Shattered Wings out even sooner!), talking about […]
[…] Updraft by Fran Wilde — great premise, fantastic buzz. […]
[…] Updraft […]